I’ve culled some of the backlog but need to do something about the full seasons of Mr. Robot and Queen Sugar and things are starting to kick back off again. Happy New Year!
- Lovesick (Net) Season Premiere, Monday – The comedy of a man recalling his former encounters while pining for one of his best friends has its moments.
- LA to Vegas (Fox) Series Premiere, Tuesday, 9pm – Dylan McDermott leads a cast of the airline crew and their passengers planning to hit big in Vegas, doesn’t look all that promising.
- grown-ish (Free) Series Premiere, Wednesday, 8pm – black-ish never quite made my list so not sure this spin off of daughter heading to college will be my bag.
- The X-Files (Fox) Season Premiere, Wednesday, 8pm – Picking up where last season left off which is likely a very uneven season.
- 9-1-1 (Fox) Series Premiere, Wednesday, 9pm – Touching on emergency responders with some top talent including Angela Bassett, Peter Krause, and Connie Britton
- Project Runway All Stars (Life) Season Premiere, Thursday, 9pm – Time for me to catch up on the last season of Runway.
- Golden Globes (NBC) Sunday, 8pm – And the winner is…
- The Chi (Show) Series Premiere, Sunday, 10pm – A look at the South Side of Chicago.
The procrastinator lists items that may not be on your regular season pass, though notation does not imply recommendation. Times noted are typically PST.
Would watching War & Peace get me out of the guilt of having never read it? Legends looks to mix a lot of items but may need some time to be successful but will def watch before one of my returning faves 100. Baskets with Galifianakas and from Louis CK promises to be oddball comedy which may not work for everyone but is def worth a look. Reports are that the new ‘season’ of X-Files starts out a bit of a mess but toward ep 3 or 4 hits a nice note. Plus a couple more Netflix shows, I know someone who has been missing Chelsea. And of course more Australian Open tennis!
- Monday – Just for Laughs (CW, 8pm), Hit the Floor, Season Premiere (VH1, 9pm), War & Peace, Mini-series Premiere (Hist/A&E/Life, 9pm), Almost Royal, Season Premiere (BBCA, 10pm)
- Tuesday – Marvel’s Captain America/Agent Carter, Season Premiere (ABC, 8/9pm), The Prancing Elites Project, Season Premiere (Oxy, 8pm), DC’s Legends of Tomorrow/Dawn of the Justice League (CW, 9/9:30pm), Gangsters: America’s Most Evil, Season Premiere (Reelz, 9pm), Total Divas/Just Jillian, Season/Series Premieres (E!, 9/10pm), Fit to Fat to Fit, Series Premiere (A&E, 10pm)
- Thursday – Portlandia, Season Premiere (IFC, 7pm), DC’s Legends of Tomorrow/The 100, Series/Season Premieres (CW, 8/9pm), Baskets, Series Premiere (Fx, 10pm), London Spy, Series Premiere (BBCA, 10pm), Recipe for Deception, Series Premiere (Brav, 10pm), Dark Net, Series Premiere (Show, 11pm)
- Friday – Mad Dogs, Series Premiere (Net, 3am), Childrens Hospital, Season Premiere (AdSw, 11pm)
- Saturday – Chelsea Does, Series Premiere (Net, 3am), The Artful Detective, Season Premiere (Ova, 7pm), Black Sails, Season Premiere (Starz, 9pm), Forensic Justice, Series Premiere (Spike, 9pm), It’s Not You, It’s Men/Where Are They Now, Series/Season Premieres (OWN, 9pm), Beowulf, Series Premiere (Esq, 10pm)
- Sunday – The X-Files, Season Premiere (Fox, 7pm), Hollywood Medium, Series Premiere (E!, 10pm)
The procrastinator lists items that may not be on your regular season pass, though notation does not imply recommendation other than those underlined. Times noted are typically PST.
Summer used to be known as a time to get outside because there was nothing on tv (and you know because of the nice weather). But today ‘nothing on tv’ is a little less true and even if you can’t find any live tv what better time to do a little catching up on series you might have missed the first time.
Personally I like to balance my standard catch up and new summer shows with one new series I plan to glut on, and I prefer that new series to be one that has already completed. I also prefer series that are available via one of the mediums I already have access to (I’m not yet ready to pay for a new cable or streaming service unless I’ve exhausted all my other options).
Following are a few of the things I’m considering as well as a few shows I might recommend:
- Absolutely Fabulous (BBC) – These ladies are so culturally ingrained but I’ve only seen them outside the actual show.
- Big Love (HBO) – Are we intrigued by the polygamists?
- Caprica (Syfy) – I wrapped BStarG not that long ago and was wondering if this was worth a follow up.
- The Comeback (HBO) – This is an exception to the complete rule because I read that the cancelled show is in fact coming back, what better time to jump in to Lisa Kudrow’s character try to revive her career?
- Deadwood (HBO) – Outlaw misfits in the gold rush, oh and Timothy Olyphant, need I say more?
- Oz (HBO) – Prison drama, as I understand it a little more serious than current OITNB.
- Prime Suspect (Netflix) – I recently started pulling up this one, lady detective not so revolutionary but reminds me a bit of The Closer in the getting to squad to accept her sort of thing, considering putting it back at the top of the queue.
- Rescue Me (Fx) – Recently tuned in to Sirens which I enjoyed and was sort of described to me as a lighter version of this.
- The Shield (Fx) – Corrupt police with Michael Chiklis might fill my recent gap in police dramas.
- The Wire (HBO) – Everyone talks about this but it’s a lot of episodes and until recently hasn’t been available enough without Netflix dvds, but am I ready to finally commit?
And for some of the shows I might recommend if you’re looking for summertime fodder:
- Buffy/Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse – No surprise here, last summer’s plan (or the summer before) was to rewatch the previously unavailable to me Joss Wedon series start to finish, totally worth it.
- Battlestar Gallactica/Friday Night Lights – Two of my more recent binge shows, very different but both well worth a watch for the characters and drama of their own communities.
- The X Files – I’m not sure I actually finished this series once we moved to other players but I’ve recently started to re-gander at this one.
- Arrested Development – I redid this one before Netflix picked up the last season, and though the revisit season was worthwhile but of mixed success the original series sure holds up.
- Freaks and Geeks/Undeclared – Want to get a taste for early Apatow humor, Freaks particularly worth a look for the great cast in early roles with some teen angst and whatnot.
- Don’t Trust the B- in Apt 23 – Recently went back to catch this since I’m not sure they ever aired them all and quite amusing.
- Terriers/Saving Grace/The Riches/Chuck – A few series I haven’t been back to but quite enjoyed the first time around.
Not currently as easily available but worth a watch: Beverly Hills 90210 (the original), Bunheads, Flight of the Concords, Gilmore Girls, Men of a Certain Age, The O.C., Pushing Daisies, Six Feet Under, Sopranos, Southland, and Veronica Mars.
Let me know in the comments what you think I should pick next, I think you can tell what I’m leaning toward.