It’s summer and a great time to catch up on movies in addition to tv. And apparently one international round trip can get me almost all caught up. So it’s time for a little reminder as to what’s recently become available, are people still getting dvds?
- 3 Days to Kill (5/20) – This movie had too much going to really be great but a palatable action flick for when there really is nothing on.
- 12 Years a Slave (3/4) – Quality film that may not be fun but the performances are worth a watch.
- American Hustle (3/18) – A fave of last year, love the fashions, the characters, and the hustle.
- Anchorman 2 (4/1) – I’m not a huge fan of these but for a plane ride it passed the time.
- Bad Words (7/8) – This Jason Bateman off color small comedy was the one plane flick that was far better than plane fare, and made me laugh out loud (not always a good idea on an overnight flight).
- Divergent (8/5) – Another one of these teen things, I didn’t find the story particularly compelling, or sensical, but good enough for a plane.
- The Grand Budapest Hotel (6/17) – If you like Wes Anderson then this was a great addition to his collection, if you don’t I might pass.
- Her (5/13) – Another fave of last year this odd take on futuristic romance hit some great notes.
- Homefront (3/11) – I feel compelled for some reason to watch every Jason Statham flick and even at their worst I kind of like them, this wasn’t the worst, but it wasn’t the best.
- Inside Llewyn Davis (3/11) – Bummer of a guy and although the movie had some good attributes I didn’t love it.
- Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (6/10) – Another plane flick, passable enough plane action.
- Need for Speed (8/5) – This felt like what it probably was an attempt to capture some of the Fast & Furious fun, and although stupid a decent enough plane flick.
- Out of the Furnace (3/11) – I love Christian Bale and though this was another bummer of a flick I thought it was worth a watch.
- Robocop (6/3) – Should I just repeat, good enough for a plane.
- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (3/15) – The last of my plane listings, a sweet and entertaining enough quest.
- Vampire Academy (5/20) – I can’t say this was a good movie but it was a fun campy flick that I enjoyed.
- Veronica Mars (5/6) – I loved me some Veronica and although I’m not sure this was 100% successful as a standalone movie, and it’s tough to do justice to all the characters of a series, it was good visit back to Neptune.
- The Wolf of Wall Street (3/25) – This movie was fun for about the first half and then it just kept going.
Though one international trip got me caught up on some of the backlog the one that I missed, that I’ve been told is more than just schmaltzy is Philomena (4/15).