Some time ago when the Netflix split of services and cost hike hit many made the decision to lose discs (better selection but they’re just collecting dust) or lose streaming (there isn’t anything really available)… I chose to hold on to the streaming. The thought was that eventually there would be a better selection, I could order stuff via Amazon on my TiVo if I really wanted something new, and I was watching a couple of tv series that were cheaper this way. It’s been a while now and although I do catch the occasional movie I’m mostly watching TV.
What’s worth a watch:
- Firefly/Buffy/Angel – They’re cult loved genre shows, but loved for a reason, strong characters, quirky dialogue, and just plain good action, Firefly (the space cowboy show) is probably the best introduction because as sad as I was to see it only go a season, it’s maybe the least uneven because of it, though the seven seasons of Buffy (the Vampire Slayer) and five of the spinoff Angel (that really came into its own), are honestly some great television and I can tune into these at any time like a comfort food.
- Battlestar Gallactica – I’m up to season four on this and although it’s maybe not as rock solid all the way through I’ve really enjoyed the political futuristic sci fi struggles of the beleaguered band of survivors, what do you do when you’re struggling for personal and species survival and what makes a person a person, you know with some space action.
- Friday Night Lights – I didn’t catch this the first time around, mostly for doubting that I would be that into a football town show, but after season one I’m on board with the small town drama, the primary family and the extended football family center around, well, football but its quickly much more than that.
- Luther/Sherlock – My faves of the BBC showings so far, complex gentlemen solving crimes, totally different tones but with a complex leading character who sometimes does things that maybe aren’t always seeming like the right things to do.
- Terriers – Critically acclaimed but ratings challenged the single season of this misfit duo doing the detective thing is another one of the shows that was canceled far before its time.
- Arrested Development – This may be part of the new model for streaming, not only is this funny show available now, but exclusive episodes (yes, the stories are true, they’re creating new episodes) will be released on Netflix (can’t wait!), and now’s a great time to catch up or rewatch.
Next for me is either Mad Men or Downton Abbey. And a couple people have recently mentioned a couple of unsung shows from their queues Peep Show for awkward buddy comedy and My Girlfriend is a Gumiho a fantastical Korean romance. What’s in your queue?