So I love the Olympics. There’s something very feel good about it and as much as I think of Olympians as not human, it’s fun to see folks compete in some of the regular and irregular sports. Much like my fragmented watching of various sports I thought I’d share a fragmented list of observations:
- I like that there are five channels of coverage but I can’t watch 1,000 hours, so I’m ok with NBC picking ‘favorites’ even if I don’t always agree, though you could mix it up a bit.
- I feel like I was able to sample a bit of everything except: sailing, modern pentathlon, handball, and field hockey.
- NBC needs to make sure the listings are correct because I can’t tape five channels for 24 hours straight ‘just in case’.
- I don’t mind the delayed coverage but I can’t come back to your website without seeing who just won on something yet to be televised.
- I don’t mind the delayed coverage but I hate people who need to comment on social media about how awesome it was that person XX won gold, can’t you be more vague until I get a chance to be as excited as you are.
- I like some of the feel-good bits, but love that I can fast forward past them because I don’t care who is getting tweeted about the most.
- I feel bad that I buy in to the fact that not winning gold is a failure.
- If I remember you from four years ago I care more.
- What’s with all the yellow Nike shoes?
- I’m super intrigued by sports that are added or removed, this year removals were softball and football with additions of women’s boxing and mixed doubles for tennis.
- I don’t think it’s wrong but I think it’s weird that there are four different things that you can throw: javelin, discus, shot put, and hammer.
- Who knew tug of war used to be an Olympic sport?
- Sports that I think should be removed from the Olympics because they’re not ‘sporty’ enough: synchronized diving, trampoline, rhythmic gymnastics, synchro swimming pairs (team synchro is still bad-ass).
- Sports that I think should be removed from the Olympics because they’re too boring: badminton, air rifle.
- Sports that I think should be removed from the Olympics because they get enough glory elsewhere: basketball, tennis.
All in all there were some fun moments but I’m glad to get back to regular programming. Time to get in to training for fall! Did you watch? What were your favorite and least favorite things?