Someone I know has just made the big switch to the iPhone, which of course led to the ‘what apps do you use’ conversation. I’m not a huge app person, but I’ve downloaded a smattering that I don’t use and a few that I do. In addition to standard email, web, phone, camera, clock, and text functions here’s where I spend my time:
- Calendar, Notes, Contacts – Sync with my Outlook so all my info is at my fingertips.
- ITunes – I’m dabbling with Pandora and Spotify but on the phone this is still my go to for tunes.
- Maps – Who doesn’t want to know where they are and how to get places?
- Weather – Who doesn’t need a weather report?
- Twitter and Facebook – These are great time killers when you’re stuck somewhere or desperately need to tell people what you’re up to, right now.
- Fandango – Movie times with reviews and all that.
- IMDB – Having a conversation that starts with something like ‘you know that guy who was in that movie,’ look it up.
- TV Guide/Comcast – On occasion I haven’t memorized the TV schedule and for some reason need to check it, haven’t developed a preference to one or the other of these.
- Yelp – Love the search where I’m at option on this.
- Routsey/Transporter – I recently tried using Transporter when Routsey had times wrong for muni but I think it’s just muni, so I’m back to Routsey for quick checks on next bus, train, bart.
- Taxi Magic – Want to call a cab?
- Uber – Want to pay a little bit more for a car that will actually show?
- Dictionary.com – I swear they don’t always have a lot of words but sometimes the easiest lookup.
- Evernote – I’m pondering greater embracing of this system, love the possibilities but still have some stuff on straight up Notes.
- All Text Picture/ASCII TextPics – A friend of mine got into texting ascii pics so I had to return.
- Groupon/LivingSocial – I do occasionally purchase these so having this on my phone is user friendly when I want to redeem.
- Lotto – When I remember that I have a lotto ticket in my wallet that I haven’t checked I need to check it immediately.
- Mustache – My first received recommendation, pick a stache and hold up to your face for fun filled talking.
- RL Classic – I occasionally need to view a bar code, but you know, almost never.
There are a myriad of apps that I have downloaded for one reason or another but don’t actually use… What apps am I missing? Tell us in comments what apps you can’t live without.
*My transportation stuff is SF focused but I’m sure there’s local action for each locale.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the
You can follow any responses to this entry through theRSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.